Burger King Corp. (BKC) is the second largest fast food hamburger chain in the world with more than 11,200 restaurants in all 50 states and 69 countries and U.S. territories worldwide. Approximately 90 percent of BURGER KING® restaurants are owned and operated by independent franchisees, many of them family-owned operations that have been in business for decades.
Over 11 million guests visit BURGER KING® restaurants worldwide each day.
* BKC was founded in 1954 in Miami, Fla., by James McLamore and David Edgerton.
* The WHOPPER® sandwich was introduced in 1957 and quickly became one of the best-known sandwiches in the world.
* There are 221,184 possible ways for a guest to order an Original WHOPPER® sandwich.
* BURGER KING® brand launched the HAVE IT YOUR WAY® marketing campaign in 1974.
* In 1966, the first international franchise restaurant opened in the Bahamas for the BURGER KING® brand.
* The BURGER KING® restaurant with the greatest altitude is in La Paz, Bolivia, at 11,000 feet above sea level.
* Budapest is home to the largest BURGER KING® restaurant worldwide.
* The 10,000th BURGER KING® restaurant in the world opened in Sydney, Australia, in 1998.
* On May 18, 2006, BKC became a publicly traded company listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol "BKC".